Saturday, October 17, 2009

Washing the fleece and falling in love with fall!


Yea, it feels like fall is finally here! I have been waiting for the leaves to start changing colors and I am just now starting to see them on the way into work. I need to bring my camera so I can get some photos to share. The colors are absolutely beautiful shades of brown, reds, and yellows, I just love it! It reminds me of when I worked in the flower shop and how are designs changed for the season. I use to not like the colors, and I couldn't wait to get the Christmas arrangements out but now I can't see how that ever was! I guess it comes with age, not many little kids choose brown as their favorite color either! I think that with most people the eye is attracted to brighter colors in general. Not me, bring on the dark ones as I love black,blue, brown, cranberry you get the picture. On the other hand, I still have the Jacob fleece and decided that last week I would try to wash it, so I scoured the internet for some help. It seemed pretty basic, but I didn't realize how grossed out by the process I would be! It simply involves soaking the wool in a mesh bag in very hot water with soap and then putting it in a rinse bath. I must have went through three cycles and then finally added some lavender essential oil to it as well. I didn't pick through it too much before soaking it as I was taking it out of the box my stomach just started to get weak. It wasn't so much the smell as the texture of it! I felt like I had a box of matted nasty hair with vegetable matter and such. When I placed it in the bath the water went from clear to muck instantly! I managed to get through it, and I will be better prepared for next time (I only washed half of it) but I truly think I will be sending off any other fleeces I get to a processing company! Don't get me wrong I love the fleece, I just now have a much better understanding of what it takes to get it in spinning form. I think it is always a good idea to learn about every aspect of how things are made simply for experience. This is something I have definitely crossed over to my professional life. For example when I thought I wanted to be a nurse I started with the CNA classes first as that can definitely give you some patient care experience! I ended up being a Respiratory Therapist specializing in sleep medicine instead and even now I have been trialing a new autopap by Respironics for sleep apnea treatment. No, I do not have OSA, I just like to try the masks that are available and the new equipment. By the way, if you have OSA and have had a difficult time in the past with compliance you should look for this machine, it is wonderful and extremely comfortable! Message me if you need more information. So onto another subject, I spend the day searching for crochet mitten patterns and came up with this one. It turned out a little bigger than I thought so I will modify the pattern for a better fit. I can see myself making plenty of these for gifts! Happy Crafting!
Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment